Explore our promoted experiences
- Combine a San Francisco city tour and audio-guided visit to Alcatraz
- All the main attractions, including Golden Gate Bridge, Chinatown, Fisherman's Wharf, and North Beach
- Audio-guided walking tour of the Alcatraz "Cell Block"
- Round-trip ferry ride to Alcatraz Island included
Why Travelers Choose This Tour
Departure & Return
Gray Line Union Square Departure Zone Encore Cafe is next door. The bus will board from directly across the street. Arrive by 8:25 AM to check-in Bus Departs at 8:40 AM
Gray Line Fisherman’s Wharf Departure Zone (2805 Leavenworth St) Bay City Bike Rentals & Tours is across the street (blue canopy). The Bus will board just in front. Arrive by 8:45 AM to check-in Bus Departs at 9:00 AM
Pier 33 concludes the bus transportation portion of tour. Pier 33 Alcatraz landing is where the Alcatraz portion commences. Upon conclusion of Alcatraz, customers will need to make their own way back from whence they came.
What To Expect
Other attractions visited on this tour include some of the city's famous Victorian homes, Chinatown, the Palace of Fine Arts, Fisherman's Wharf, the Presidio, and North Beach. Your tour ends at Pier 33.
At Pier 33, board a scenic ferry to Alcatraz. Arrive at Alcatraz, a former federal prison that's now a national park and get a brief orientation to the maximum-security facility, which operated from 1934 to 1963. Pick up your self-guided audio tour, available in several languages, and start exploring. Listen to commentary from former staff and inmates and learn about the stints that famous inmates such as Machine Gun Kelly and Al Capone served. When you're finished looking around, hop on the next ferry (ferries depart regularly) and head back to Pier 33.
Likely to Sell-out! Alcatraz regularly sells out weeks in advance. Book ahead of time to avoid disappointment.
The schedule for the day depends on the availability of Alcatraz. You are advised of the tour schedule 72-hours prior to the tour date.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Alcatraz reservations are first come first serve, all reservations are finalized (11) days prior to your departure date. No refunds or changes allowed after this date.
- You must provide first and last names, along with ages of all passengers to confirm your reservation. If for any reason you do not provide this information within the window of time provided, your Alcatraz tour will be forfeited.
- Date changes are not permitted once confirmation is received
- The Alcatraz portion usually takes 2.5 hours to complete, with its audio tour consisting of approximately 45 minutes. You are advised to inquire on your arrival to the island as to what time the next guided tour will begin. There is no restriction on the amount of time you spend on the Island. The ferry boat service departs Alcatraz every 30 minutes and you can disembark at your own leisure
- Pier 33 is the last stop and ends the bus transport portion of tour. Customers will need to make their own way back to their desired destinations after Alcatraz.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 55 travelers
- OPERATED BY Gray Line San Francisco
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms