Explore our promoted experiences
- Thrihnukagigur volcano tour from Reyjavik, led by a professional expert guide
- Travel to the Blue Mountains to descend into the dormant volcano
- Ride an open elevator down inside Thrihnukagigur's magma chamber
- Walk around the subterranean arena and ogle its scalded walls and dome
- Learn about the volcano’s last eruption, 4,000 years ago
- Walk through scenic lava fields to and from the volcanic crater
- Receive personalized attention on a small-group tour limited to 18 people
Why Travelers Choose This Tour
Departure & Return
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
Begin with pickup from your hotel in Reykjavik. Then take off for a drive to Iceland’s Blue Mountains (Bláfjöll) for your volcano experience, listening to an introduction on how this unique volcanic site was first formed 4,000 years ago from your guide. As it turns out, the unique eruption allowed the formation of its magnificent magmatic chamber.
Arrive at Thrihnukagigur, taking note of the safety briefing from your guide. Then head out into the craggy formations of the volcano’s surrounding lava field. Your walk is of moderate difficulty due to the uneven ground and sharp rocky surface, so please be sure to be in good shape and to bring along good hiking shoes.
Continue your hike through the field, taking time to admire its volcanic cones and steaming gas fissures, before arriving at the rim of the crater. Listen to another short safety lesson while donning your helmet and harness, then join a group of three or four other guests on the open cable elevator that lowers you into the site.
Enjoy the incredible views as you descend, observing the crater’s walls formed many thousands of years ago. Soon, reach the base of this dormant volcano and continue on an exploration of the cavernous interior with your guide. Check out the towering rock dome above, the surface scattered with an array of colors caused by the magma that once touched its surface. You also hear a variety of stories from your guide about the last eruption, imagining this incredible site as it once was, bubbling with liquid magma.
After time inside the crater, return back to your vehicle, which drops you at your Reykjavik hotel.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wear warm and waterproof clothing, as well as hiking boots. Sneakers and jeans are not appropriate.
- Minimum age is 8 years
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Be aware that this tour includes a total of 7 km hike across an uneven mountain terrain in unpredictable weather conditions. No hiking experience is needed, but this does require moderate fitness levels.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 18 travelers
- OPERATED BY Gray Line Iceland
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
See all safety measures taken by Inside the Volcano: Small Group Thrihnukagigur Hike and Tour from Reykjavik.
- "it's not everyday you get the chance to hike a couple of miles to the cone of a volcano, and then get harnessed and lowered 450 feet into the magma chamber." See review