- Icelandic horseback riding experience from Reykjavik
- Ride on a gentle Icelandic horse
- Ride through lava fields and moors past mountains and lakes
- Choose a beginner, intermediate, or advanced ride
- Refuel with coffee, tea or hot chocolate after your ride
- Choice of morning or afternoon departure
Departure & Return
If you are traveling on your own to our stables, please be there at least 30 min. prior to your tour departure.
What To Expect
Get up-close to the Icelandic horses, learning about this gentle breed. Descendants of Viking horses brought here in the 10th century, these sturdy, good-nature steeds are known for their tölt, a four-beat gait that makes riding on rugged terrain smooth and comfortable.
Next, watch a short instructional video, don your provided riding gear, and hop into the saddle. Learn to ease your horse into the tölt, and set out behind your instructor. Soon afterward, having watched you riding, your instructor splits you into three groups—beginners, intermediates, and experienced.
Beginners ride slowly over easy terrain, with intermediate and experienced riders tackling more challenging routes at different paces. Just advise your instructor if you want to go slower or faster.
As you ride, soak in the beautiful scenery. Weave through lava fields and moorland, passing volcanic mountains and lakes.
After your trek, savor coffee, tea, or hot chocolate at the stables.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult
- Age limit is 8 years old
- Weight limit is 110kg/240lbs
- Used riding gear is not allowed on the tour or near the horses
- If you arrive in your own car please be at the stables 30 minutes before your tour starts
- Due to possible harm to unborn children pregnant women cannot ride on our tours
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- All riders must be able to mount the horse by their own strength.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- In our tours up to two children or youth may travel with each adult, paying full fare
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 30 travelers
- OPERATED BY Ishestar
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms