- Private full-day Longmen Grottoes and White Horse Temple day trip from Luoyang
- Visit UNESCO-listed Longmen, home to some of China’s richest stone art
- View the caves and niches filled with thousands of Buddhist statues
- Explore the White Horse Temple, a sacred Buddhist complex from 68 AD
- Enjoy a lunch of popular regional dishes at a local restaurant
- Round-trip private transport, entrance fees, and hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Price per group, based on a maximum of 10 people
Departure & Return
Hmm...we can’t seem to find this place. Please check the spelling, or choose another location.
After booking, the operator will contact you about pickup time.
What To Expect
As you travel, listen as your guide tells tales of Longmen, whose grottoes house the biggest collection of Chinese art from the late Northern Wei and Tang Dynasties, from between the 4th and 10th centuries. Situated on the banks of the River Yi, the caves number a staggering 2,100 and house crematory urns, inscribed stone tablets, and 100,000 Buddhist sculptures and images.
Head into the site, and enjoy a guided walk along the riverbanks to see the highlights, admiring the earliest niches with their simple Buddha statues, to the later and more richly carved caves, featuring rich depictions of Buddhas, court figures, and other decorative elements. Admire the lush scenery around the caves, and afterward, head to a local restaurant for a lunch of popular regional dishes.
Duly refreshed, continue with a drive to the White Horse Temple, founded in 68 AD, and held to be the first Buddhist temple in China. Backed by the Mangshan Mountain and overlooking the River Luohe, this ancient temple consists of ornate religious shrines holding images of Buddhist deities.
Soak in the spiritual atmosphere, and tour of the main areas, including halls, pavilions, and courtyards, as you learn about the temple’s history and why it’s regarded as the cradle of Chinese Buddhism.
Having explored here, relax on your return journey to Luoyang where your trip concludes with a hotel drop-off.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Children must be accompanied by an adult. Cost for Children is the same as adults. Infant (age< 2) free.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- We also can pickup from Luoyang Longmen Railway Station. Please enter your train information in the blank of pickup location at the time of booking.
- While we endeavour to cater for specific dietary requirements, some meals and food activities are set in advance and may be difficult to adjust. Please advise us of any dietary requirements at the time of booking so that we can ensure you'll enjoy this trip.
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- OPERATED BY Trippest Mini Group Tours
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff