Explore our promoted experiences
- Franz Josef Glacier helicopter tour and guided hike
- Take a helicopter flight between two icefalls
- Follow a professional guide on a hike on the glacial terrain
- Equipment provided, including glacier boots and ice crampons
Why Travelers Choose This Tour
Departure & Return
What To Expect
Then board the AS355 twin-engine Squirrel, a helicopter whose open-plan cabin offers prime views for all six passengers. Hover above remote landscapes with access to the 7.5-mile-long (12-km) Franz Josef Glacier. Fly right by towering peaks, over deep crevasses, and past pristine blue waterways. Admire the sparkling ice before an exciting landing high up on the glacier between two icefalls.
Then hop out to begin your guided hike over the picturesque icy terrain, most often seen only by skilled mountaineers.
Clamber in and around ice caves as your guide points out dramatic pinnacles and seracs, and learn about the history and current conditions of Franz Josef Glacier. Enjoy plenty of photo ops before you reboard the helicopter for the ride back to town.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Minimum age is 8 years
- It is recommended that you wear sturdy footwear and bring warm layers due to cold temperatures
- Moderate level of fitness is required
- Subject to favorable weather conditions; if canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
- Please note: A guided walk among ice caves is usually part of the tour but all tour activities are dependent on the weather
- Maximum weight limit of 120kg per person including gear / Minimum child weight 30kg (subject to ice conditions)
- What to bring
- Warm upper-body clothing (preferably 3-4 layers)
- Leggings or light trousers, although shorts are acceptable
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- Waterproof jacket (provided if you don't have one)
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 22 travelers
- OPERATED BY Totally Tourism - The Helicopter Line
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Guides required to regularly wash hands