Explore our promoted experiences
- Franz Josef Glacier helicopter tour and walk
- Take in beautiful glacier views from the air by helicopter
- Explore the ice with your guide and gain insight into the geological forces at play
- Marvel at the stunning landscape on your moderately difficult hike
- Tour includes all hiking equipment
Why Travelers Choose This Tour
Departure & Return
What To Expect
Then hop into the helicopter for stunning aerial views over New Zealand's scenic Southern Alps and surrounding area—a magnificent sight to behold. After a brief flight, experience a gentle yet thrilling landing atop the mighty Franz Josef Glacier.
Ice axe in hand, set off on foot with your guide past ice formations that protrude alongside ice caves, pinnacles, and seracs. Explore the dramatic landscape as you hike past mazes of ice and deep blue crevasses along the glacier. With insight from your guide, understand the various geological forces at play in this otherworldly environment.
At the conclusion of your glacier hike, return to Franz Josef by helicopter.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Minimum age is 8 years old
- Minimum weight is 35kg
- It is advised that families travelling with younger children to book an afternoon tour when the track is more suitable
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Glacier walks are moderately difficult, clients need to be fit and able. Refunds will not be available for clients who cannot participate on the day due to inappropriate fitness levels, i.e. it is important you are selecting the right trip for your physical fitness ability. Guides reserve the right to curtail or cancel trips for clients whose fitness is not appropriate
- Operates in most weather conditions, please dress appropriately. Two to four warm upper- body layers of clothing are recommended, quick-drying trousers or shorts (no jeans), a hat and gloves, sunglasses, sunscreen and a camera
- The Operator reserves the absolute right to cancel or vary any service for any reason including as a result of weather conditions, insufficient reservations or any unforeseen event or circumstance. These trips are weather dependent.
- For Health and Safety reasons, we are unable to guide pregnant women. Please note: We have a weight limit of 115kg per person on the Heli Hike.
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 11 travelers
- OPERATED BY Franz Josef Glacier Guides
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- "Bad weather will usually only show up later in the day causing the later hikes to be canceled while the morning tours are still completed." See review
- "The view at the glacier is much better in winter (you can see the snowy mountains only in winter)." See review
- "Equipment was in perfect conditions, had an excellent guide, safety was ensured at all times." See review