- Full-day tour of Dunedin city center and Otago Peninsula wildlife viewing, from Dunedin
- See Dunedin highlights like Baldwin Street, Otago University, Dunedin Railway Station, the Octagon and Signal Hill lookout
- Visit a yellow-eyed penguin reserve and get up close to this rare penguin species
- Walk around Taiaroa Head to view the northern royal albatross
- Pickup and drop-off available from Dunedin hotels or Port Chalmers cruise port
- Small-group tour with a maximum of 19 people allows customized attention from your guide
Departure & Return
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
Get a look at steep Baldwin Street, the University of Otago and Dunedin Railway Station, renowned for its ornate Renaissance Revival design. You’ll pass Dunedin Town Hall and St Paul's Anglican Cathedral in the Octagon — the lively city center — and step out at the Signal Hill lookout for a wider view.
Next, explore the extensive Larnach Gardens with your guide before free time to meander at your own pace. Opt to tour the mansion for a historical overview, including rumors of its haunting (choose the Castle option when booking). You can purchase lunch at the ballroom cafe adjacent to Larnach Castle before continuing on.
Upon arrival at a nearby nature reserve on the Otago Peninsula, you’re greeted by a naturalist guide for a tour to observe New Zealand’s yellow-eyed penguins. A moderate walk plus a descent of 90 steps takes you through hides for close-up viewing of the nesting site without disturbing the world’s rarest penguins.
Then rejoin your minivan for the drive to Taiaroa Head to visit nesting grounds for the northern royal albatross. Search for seabirds with the widest wingspans gliding over the headlands. Then marvel at the coastline on the return to Dunedin where your day trip ends.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A moderate amount walking is involved, there are 90 steps at the penguin reserve. A moderate level of fitness is required
- Bring a waterproof jacket , sunglasses, hat and closed-toe shoes suitable for walking
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Departure time may change depending on cruise ship schedule
- We guarantee you will see at least 1 penguin, but please be aware penguins are wild and shy birds and sightings may be limited
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 16 travelers
- OPERATED BY Back to Nature Tours
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
See all safety measures taken by Dunedin and the Otago Peninsula Wildlife Tour.
- "Though Dunedin is out of the normal driving path for tourists, do not miss this tour." See review
- "Back to Nature Tours provides a complete tour of Dunedin and the Otago Peninsula (showing more in one day than any other company we found) at an extremely reasonable price." See review
- "After that a drive to try and see the albatross but unfortunately none where around for the 15 minute stop-but that is nature." See review