- Travel across the Canterbury Plains to the breathtaking Arthur's Pass National Park on this full-day tour from Christchurch
- Scenic TranzAlpine train journey
- Enjoy guided walks of Arthur's Pass National Park with many spectacular mountain vistas
- Delicious morning and afternoon tea
- Visit a country hotel for lunch
- Fully escorted and informative commentary
- Small-group tour with maximum eight passengers provides a more personalized experience with your guide
Departure & Return
Your guide will be holding a sign displaying name for tour booking at check in area.
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
Your independent rail trip crosses the flat farmlands of the Canterbury Plains before winding through Waimakariri Gorge and the high country’s tussock fields until you reach the magnificent Southern Alps. En route, pass multiple tunnels and viaducts including the 240-foot-long (73-meter) Staircase.
On arrival at Arthur's Pass, you’re greeted by your guide for a small-group tour of the national park by minivan, following a former stagecoach route down Otira Gorge, a commonplace for the Maori to search for greenstone. Hop off the minivan for several short bushwalks as you’re guided along riverside paths in the forest.
Back in your vehicle, drive through the South Island high country, stopping to view the craggy cliffs at the Cave Stream, which meanders underground. From the highway, get a glimpse of Castle Hill where weatherworn limestone outcrops form a unique mountain landscape. If you’ve got the energy, you can hike to the top for an encompassing view of the surrounding countryside.
Your full-day tour includes morning and afternoon tea along with lunch at a local hotel before you make the return trip to Christchurch by minivan, stopping in the sweeping Canterbury Plains to see Waimakariri Gorge.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- A percentage of the tour price is used for the conservation of New Zealand's wildlife, environment and it's endangered species
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- OPERATED BY Canterbury Trails
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
See all safety measures taken by Arthur's Pass National Park with TranzAlpine Train Tour from Christchurch.