- 9-hour Akaroa dolphin swim experience, from Christchurch
- Admire beautiful scenery on route to Akaroa, such as Governor’s Bay, Gebbies Pass and Lake Ellesmere
- Watch out for seals and penguins from your boat in Akaroa harbour
- Jump into the sea and swim with wild Hector’s dolphins
- Marvel at the volcanic coastal scenery
- Enjoy free time to explore the many fine craft shops in town
- Visit a local cheese factory to taste fine New Zealand cheeses
- Includes round-trip travel from centrally located Christchurch hotels
Departure & Return
Hmm...we can’t seem to find this place. Please check the spelling, or choose another location.
What To Expect
After a morning pickup from your Christchurch hotel, enjoy a comfortable coach drive to the coastal town of Akaroa, passing breathtaking natural landmarks such as Governor’s Bay, Gebbies Pass, Lake Ellesmere, Lake Forsyth and Little River.
On arrival, embark on a dolphin cruise over Akaroa Harbour. Keep an eye out for penguins and seals, and search the waters for curious and playful Hector’s dolphins — commonly sighted among the waves.
When your captain has located a pod, don your wetsuit, mask, snorkel and flippers then slip into the water. Since these endangered marine mammals are completely wild in their natural habitat, touching them is not permitted, but simply ducking down beneath the waves to marvel at the magnificent dolphins makes for an unforgettable experience.
After the return journey to Akaroa, enjoy free time for lunch (own expense), and explore the craft shops and French colonial buildings in this charming corner of the South Island. Your guide then accompanies you to a Barry's Bay cheese factory for a tasting session of fine New Zealand cheeses.
Your full-day tour concludes with the return drive to Christchurch, with drop-off at your hotel.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Children must be 8 years and over to swim with the Dolphins
- Customers must declare any pre-existing medical conditions. A basic level of fitness is required. Customers will be floating in the water and will be required to swim to and from the boat - distances up to 50 meters (150 feet) at a time.
- Minimum 4 adults required before tour can operate
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 50 travelers
- OPERATED BY Leisure Tours
- Any changes made less than 6 full days before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- For a 50% refund, you must cancel 3–6 full days before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 2 full days before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 2 full days before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 7 full days before the experience’s start time.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.