- Recent history that put Hungary on the political map: 1956 Revolution, WWI-II, 19th century overview
- Visit our own unique exhibition of how life was back then (display of furniture, artifacts, readers, relics)
- 1956 Speeches, Protests, Marches and Soviet invasion areas
- Life and culture and how we lived under big brother
- Prelude to freedom with fall of the Iron Curtain
Departure & Return
Hmm...we can’t seem to find this place. Please check the spelling, or choose another location.
Please arrive 10 minutes before your selected start time for pickup. Your operator can coordinate exact time and location.
What To Expect
The Revolution of 1956 continues to be honored every year on October 23, marking the culmination of the Hungarian quest for freedom. Your guide will take you through significant landmarks where protests, speeches and marches took place. A stop at Liberty Square will offer a glimpse at the city’s final tribute to the Soviet Union.
Additionally, you’ll hear stories about life behind the Iron Curtain – how families lived, the great difficulties of travel and many other interesting facts and anecdotes, from black markets to banana lines.
You’ll also have the opportunity to travel to a private exhibition hall to study cultural artifacts and communist propaganda, such as red and blue passports, party member registration books, currency, medals and more.
Your guide will then take you to the impressive structure of the Parliament building, where the first shots of the 1956 Revolution were fired. You’ll learn about the important Hungarian figure Imre Nagy, a communist best known for defying the Soviet leaders in Moscow and executed for treason as a result.
As your tour concludes in central Budapest, you’ll have a clearer sense of the last century of history that has shaped both the capital city and its country today.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- You will need to be fit for light continuous walking, for up to 3 hours
- Tour goes in all weather conditions so please dress appropriately
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- Not recommended under age 12
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- OPERATED BY Absolute Tours
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms