- Nature cruise in Akaroa Harbour shore excursion
- 2-hour Akaroa Harbour cruise by luxury boat to see the worlds smallest and rarest dolphin, the Hector's dolphin
- See fur seals as you cruise past Seal Bay
- Stop at Lucas Bay to see a salmon farm
- Stunning scenery and plenty of photo opportunities
- Fully narrated by knowledgeable skipper
- Not covered by Viator’s worry-free policy: guaranteed on-time return to your ship
Departure & Return
Departure Point: Akaroa's main wharf Directions: Your cruise ship will provide a tender to the main wharf. You must check in with Black Cat Cruises located on Akaroa's main wharf at least 30 minutes prior to your selected departure time. Dates: Daily Return point: Returns to original departure point
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
Find yourself a perfect spot on the 60-foot (18-meter) luxury catamaran, which offers a choice of two observation decks that provide plenty of unobstructed views of Akaroa’s wildlife. Sip complimentary coffee and tea while the skipper shares information about the harbor’s natural history and geographical features — such as Cathedral Cave and the volcanic amphitheater of Scenery Nook — and brings your attention to any marine life.
Motor past Akaroa Lighthouse and keep an eye out for petite Hector’s dolphins, whose calves often swim alongside the boat between October and March. You may also encounter white-flippered penguins — the world’s smallest penguin — or the endangered yellow-eyed penguin.
Snap photos of New Zealand fur seals basking on the rocks at Seal Bay, and make a stop at a salmon farm in Lucas Bay to learn how Akaroa salmon are raised, before your boat returns to the dock.
This excursion is located within a 5-minute walk to the cruise port, so you determine the time you return to your ship in Akaroa. Please allow yourself ample time to enjoy the excursion and ensure your timely return to the port. This excursion is not covered by our worry-free policy.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Please bring light jacket, sun protection and camera
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- OPERATED BY Black Cat Cruises
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.