Piazza delle Erbe
As one of Verona’s top landmarks, a visit to Piazza delle Erbe is included in most sightseeing tours of the city. The centerpiece of the square is the Madonna Verona Fountain, a fountain topped with a 1st-century Roman sculpture of a crowned female figure holding a metal scroll. Other must-see sights in the square include the Palazzo Maffei, which is curiously decorated with statues of Greek gods; the Torre dei Lamberti; and the statue of St. Mark’s Lion—the symbol of the Republic of Venice—atop a white marble column.
Things to know before you go
- A visit to the Piazza delle Erbe market is a must for first-time visitors to the city.
- Stop for lunch or a coffee in one of the piazza’s many popular cafés.
- The square is open daily and there is no admission charge.
- The piazza’s cobblestone sidewalks may be difficult to navigate with wheelchairs and strollers.
How to get there
Piazza delle Erbe is located in the heart of Verona and can easily be reached on foot from most places in the central city. The square is located between Via Mazzini and the Corso Porta Borsari just a few blocks from Juliet’s House and the Piazza dei Signori. It’s also accessible by bus, taxi, or as part of a sightseeing bike or Segway tour of Verona’s top sites.
When to get there
Piazza delle Erbe is a public square, so it never closes. The produce market is generally open Monday through Saturday from morning until evening, as well as the occasional Sunday. With overflowing sidewalk cafes, street performers, and a busy nightlife scene, evenings are an especially lively time to visit the square.
The Arco della Costa (Arch of the Rib)
Just off of Piazza delle Erbe, a bone, believed to be a whale’s rib, is suspended mysteriously from the Arco della Costa (Arch of the Rib) by an iron chain. The rib has been hanging there since at least the 1700s, and legend has it that it will fall once the first honest and truthful person walks beneath it.
- Things to do in Veneto
- Things to do in Vicenza
- Things to do in Padua
- Things to do in Parma
- Things to do in Ferrara
- Things to do in Modena
- Things to do in Treviso
- Things to do in Venice
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Milan
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Genoa
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Emilia-Romagna
- Things to do in Lombardy
- Piazza dei Signori (Piazza Dante)
- Lamberti Tower (Torre dei Lamberti)
- Juliet’s House (Casa di Giulietta)
- Scaliger Tombs (Arche Scaligere)
- Achille Forti Modern Art Gallery (Galleria d'Arte Moderna Achille Forti)
- Basilica di Sant’Anastasia
- Porta Borsari
- Via Mazzini
- Verona Duomo (Cattedrale di Santa Maria Matricolare)
- Piazza Brà
- Ponte Pietra
- Roman Theater and Archaeological Museum
- Verona Arena
- Gran Guardia Palace (Palazzo della Gran Guardia)
- Castel San Pietro