Join a guided tour of the Venetian islands and stroll through the winding streets of this charming island to admire the brightly painted houses and watch a lace-making demonstration. A private tour of Burano, Murano, and Torcello islands is a fascinating way to explore the less famous corners of the Floating City by boat.
Recent reviews from experiences in Venice
Things to Know Before You Go
A boat trip to Burano is a must for photography buffs, who will love capturing the vibrant colors.
Venice island tours require getting on and off a boat, so confirm wheelchair and stroller accessibility ahead of time.
Burano lace, like Murano glass, is made entirely by hand and is very expensive. Don't be fooled by cheap industrial knock-offs sold at many souvenir shops.
The island's main street is lined with souvenir shops, cafés, and restaurants.
How to Get There
From St. Mark's Square, take the 5.2 vaporetto from the San Zaccaria stop to Fondamente Nove, then transfer to the 12 to Burano. Boats run until late, but if you miss the last vaporetto, you’ll have to take what may be an expensive water taxi back to Venice.
When to Get There
Though the small islands outside Venice are less visited than sights like St. Mark's Basilica and the Doge's Palace, they can still get quite crowded. The best time to visit is in early spring or late fall. If you’re there in summer, head to Burano first thing in the morning.
Visiting Burano and Murano
Burano is often mistaken for Murano, the island known for its long history of glass blowing. You can easily visit both in a single day on a tour that combines them both. You’ll want to see Burano for the photo opportunities and lace-making and Murano for the glass-making demonstrations in the island's many glass factories.
- Things to do in Veneto
- Things to do in Treviso
- Things to do in Padua
- Things to do in Vicenza
- Things to do in Ferrara
- Things to do in Piran
- Things to do in Porec
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Milan
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Istria
- Things to do in Friuli-Venezia Giulia
- Museo del Merletto (Lace Museum)
- Church of Santa Maria Assunta (I Gesuiti)
- Venice Islands
- Museo del Vetro
- Venetian Lagoon (Laguna Veneta)
- Venice Basilica dei Santi Giovanni e Paolo
- Madonna dell’Orto Church (Chiesa della Madonna dell'Orto)
- Querini Stampalia Foundation (Fondazione Querini Stampalia)
- Church of Santa Maria dei Miracoli (Chiesa di Santa Maria dei Miracoli)
- Campo Santa Maria Formosa
- Church of Santa Maria Formosa (Chiesa di Santa Maria Formosa)
- Church of San Zaccaria (Chiesa di San Zaccaria)
- Ca' d'Oro (Palazzo Santa Sofia)