Gianyar Night Market (Pasar Malam Gianyar) Tours
One of a raft of markets with good food offerings around Ubud, Gianyar Night Market (Pasar Malam Gianyar) attracts the dinner crowd with reasonable prices, an authentic feel, and delicious food. The market serves up a wealth of Balinese and Indonesian fare, including spit-roasted suckling pig (babi guling), banana fritters, and jellied ice.
Many claim that the bustling town of Gianyar makes the best spit-roasted suckling pig on Bali. In addition to babi guling, the Gianyar Night Market is the place to try such Balinese and Indonesian dishes as meatball soup (bakso) and spicy braised chicken (ayam betutu). Though easy to explore independently, the night market is becoming an increasingly popular stop on culinary tours of Ubud and its surrounds.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Gianyar is the name of both the district and its capital, so Gianyar Night Market is in Gianyar, Gianyar.
- Bring plenty of small change, as vendors are unlikely to break 100,000 IDR notes.
- Visit Gianyar Night Market with a group, if possible, so you can sample more dishes.
How to Get There
Gianyar Night Market is around 7 miles (11 kilometers) from Ubud and reasonably well signposted. Due to difficult traffic and driving conditions, most travelers choose to hire a driver or visit the Gianyar Night Market as part of an organized tour.
When to Get There
The Gianyar Night Market kicks off as night falls—between 6pm and 7pm depending on the time of year—and tends to peak around 8pm, although some stalls continue serving until late. For the widest choice of food and the liveliest atmosphere, head down once it’s dark and the lights are blazing.
Spit-Roasted Pig (Babi Guling)
Babi guling—a spit-roasted suckling pig served as succulent roast pork, crackling, satay, spicy sausages, pâté, organ meats, and more—is the national dish of Bali. Sample it alongside such treats as spicy cassava-leaf stuffing, salad with vegetables and coconut (urap), and, of course, sambal chili sauce at Pasar Malam Gianyar.
9 Tours and Activities to Experience Gianyar Night Market (Pasar Malam Gianyar)
1 DAY Enjoy the night market & blend into the great nature and enjoy the waterfall! Private Tour 8 Hours Cliff Temple Play with Ancient Ruins & Waterhole Natural Pool! With English and Japanese driver
Frequently Asked Questions
- Bali Night Market Experience and Ubud Highlights tour
- Bali Food Tour
- Farmer market, waterfalls, holy spring & rice terraces, Private Tours
- 9-Day Best of Bali Tour: Ubud, Sidemen, Mt Batur, Lovina and Bedugul
Things to do near Ubud
- Things to do in Bali
- Things to do in Seminyak
- Things to do in Kuta
- Things to do in Nusa Lembongan
- Things to do in Jimbaran
- Things to do in Candidasa
- Things to do in Nusa Dua
- Things to do in Yogyakarta
- Things to do in East Java
- Things to do in Central Java
- Things to do in Banyuwangi
- Things to do in Lombok
- Things to do in West Java
- Things to do in East Nusa Tenggara
- Things to do in Sabah