The Strand is a focal point of fun and recreation in central Townsville. Whatever your interests, there is likely something here to keep you entertained. Active travelers can jog or walk along the promenade and use the outdoor fitness equipment or basketball court, then cool off with a dip in the sea or the open-air pool. The sea here is calm and suitable for kids, and families can head to other kid-friendly attractions along the Strand. History enthusiasts should explore the Jezzine Barracks to learn more about Townsville’s history. Most travelers visit the Strand independently while spending time in Townsville.
Things to know before you go
- Between November and May, when deadly jellyfish are present in the sea, “stinger nets” are put up on the beach to keep swimmers safe. Alternatively, swim at the stinger-free Rockpool.
- Beach access mats for wheelchair users are available on Friday mornings, and during special occasions.
- Lifeguards are on duty every day at the Strand Beach and the Rockpool, from morning until early evening, with extended hours during the school summer vacation.
How to get there
The Strand is in central Townsville, so it is difficult to miss whether you’re driving or on foot. If you get there by car, there’s parking surrounding the playing field, including disabled parking bays.
When to get there
The Strand is accessible at any time, and when you visit depends on what you want to do. Some specific attractions (such as restaurants) have their own opening times. Sunset is a nice time to visit.
Magnetic Island, 5 miles (8 kilometers) offshore from Townsville, is visible from the Strand. With a permanent population of around 2,000 people and ferry connections to the mainland, Magnetic Island is a popular destination from Townsville. You can enjoy gorgeous beaches, hiking, and encounters with wildlife. Get there via the ferry that departs from the terminal at the Breakwater Marina, near the southern end of the Strand.
- Museum of Tropical Queensland
- Reef HQ Aquarium
- Maritime Museum of Townsville
- Castle Hill
- Kissing Point Fortification
- Jezzine Barracks
- Army Museum North Queensland
- Royal Australian Air Force Museum (RAAF Museum)
- Tumbetin Tea Rooms
- Billabong Sanctuary
- Magnetic Island
- Paluma Range National Park
- SS Yongala Dive Site
- Orpheus Island