The name “Paddy’s Market” has been in use since the 1870s but the market has moved several times. (It operates in a second location in the Flemington suburb as well.) This strip-lit spot, however, feels thoroughly modern and more like a discount mall than a flea market or farmers’ market. Head to the upper floors of Market City for factory outlet shopping, Asian retailers, an Asian supermarket, and one of Sydney’s best-value food courts.
Things to know before you go
- Discount brands in Paddy’s Market are usually either fakes or factory rejects. If you’re expecting quality, shop elsewhere.
- Pickpockets occasionally operate in the market. Keep an eye on your bag and your phone.
- The Paddy’s Market food trucks are in the Flemington location, not Haymarket.
- Market City (including Paddy’s Market) is wheelchair-accessible, with adapted bathrooms and a parents’ room too.
How to get there
There are two Paddy’s Markets in Sydney, but almost all travelers will find the Haymarket location more convenient than suburban Flemington. It’s a 5-minute walk from Sydney’s Central Station in the heart of downtown.
When to get there
Opening times may vary, but Paddy’s is typically open Wednesday through Sunday from morning until early evening. Lunchtimes and weekends are the busiest times.
Sydney’s Best Markets
Sydney has plenty to offer market fans. For a dose of color, head to Sydney Fish Market—one of the southern hemisphere’s largest fish markets—before dawn and watch the fish auctions. On Sundays, try the Tramsheds Growers Market for artisan produce and fare. On Friday nights, the Chinatown Night Market—just opposite Paddy’s Market—springs into life with a wealth of great-value Asian gifts, sweets, and street food.
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Byron Bay
- Things to do in Yarra Valley
- Things to do in Gold Coast
- Things to do in Melbourne
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Noosa & Sunshine Coast
- Things to do in Hervey Bay
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in Queensland