St. Augustine Lighthouse and Maritime Museum
At the lighthouse, you can tour the Keeper’s House Museum or take a self-guided or an expert-guided behind-the-scenes tour (scheduled hourly), included with your admission. There’s also a pirate ship playground for kids. Visit the lighthouse and museum on your own, or stop there during your hop-on hop-off trolley tour, which includes more than 20 attractions and historical points of interest in America’s oldest city.
Things to Know Before You Go
The lighthouse and museum are ideal for maritime buffs and families with children.
Admission is discounted for seniors and children.
The 219-step climb to the top of the lighthouse may be strenuous for some visitors.
Children must be 44 inches tall (1 meter) to climb the lighthouse. Carrying children up the stairs is prohibited.
Food and drinks are available for purchase, and an on-site gift shop sells unique lighthouse-themed souvenirs.
The ground floor of the Keeper’s House Museum is wheelchair accessible, but the lighthouse is not.
How to Get There
The lighthouse is located on Red Cox Road, across the Bridge of Lions, the Intracoastal Waterway bridge at the north end of Anastasia Island. From downtown St. Augustine, head south on A1A, past the lighthouse, making a left on Red Cox Road. Parking is free.
When to Get There
The St. Augustine Lighthouse and Maritime Museum is open from 9am to 6pm daily, and to 7pm in summer and on holidays (except Thanksgiving and Christmas, when it’s closed). Experience the smallest crowds and comfortable weather between March and May. Bring warm clothing between December and February, as temperatures get chilly.
Cool Bonus Tours
In addition to the regular tours included with admission, you can book a ghost tour or sunset lighthouse tour. The sunset tour includes hors d’oeuvres and a glass of Champagne from a local winery. A nighttime paranormal tour comes replete with a haunting narration of ghost tales from the historic lighthouse.
- Things to do in Florida
- Things to do in Jacksonville
- Things to do in Daytona Beach
- Things to do in Gainesville
- Things to do in Orlando
- Things to do in Crystal River
- Things to do in Cape Canaveral
- Things to do in Cocoa Beach
- Things to do in Tampa
- Things to do in Savannah
- Things to do in Charleston
- Things to do in Fort Myers
- Things to do in Fort Lauderdale
- Things to do in Georgia
- Things to do in South Carolina
- St. Augustine Alligator Farm Zoological Park
- González-Alvarez House (Oldest House Museum Complex)
- Father Miguel O'Reilly House Museum
- Spanish Military Hospital Museum
- Governor's House Cultural Center and Museum
- Lightner Museum
- Medieval Torture Museum
- Micro Masterpieces Art Gallery
- Flagler College
- Castillo de San Marcos National Monument
- Colonial Quarter
- St. Augustine Pirate and Treasure Museum
- Potter's Wax Museum
- Memorial Presbyterian Church
- Oldest Wooden School House