Top Queenstown Wildlife Encounters
Saved to wishlist!
11 results | All Queenstown Tours
Shoot the rapids on the Shotover River on this half-day tour from Queenstown, a great choice for thrill seekers. Under the supervision of a guide, you'll brave the wild rapids, raft through the Oxenbridge Tunnel, and drop into the Cascade Rapid. Instruction and all necessary equipment (wetsuit, life jacket, spray jacket, booties, helmet) are included.
Adrenaline-chasing travelers won’t want to miss white-water rafting on Queenstown’s Shotover River. After traveling on one of New Zealand’s most treacherous (but beautiful) roads, you’ll have a full safety briefing before donning your gear and getting in the raft. Paddle through grade 3-5 rapids surrounded by amazing mountain scenery. Rafting experience isn’t required but a sense of adventure is recommended.
Board the TSS "Earnslaw," a vintage steamship, for an evening cruise on Queenstown’s scenic Lake Wakatipu. Arriving at Walter Peak High Country Farm, you’re treated to a sumptuous barbecue dinner at the Colonel’s Homestead. Sink your teeth into roasted meats and seafood, homemade desserts, and a New Zealand cheeseboard. After dinner, see farm demonstrations or purchase a drink and simply relax in the bar.
• This private photography tour provides a flexible itinerary. • You will receive approx. 5 -10 complimentary professional digital photographs within the week or two after the tour. • Your guide holds the public liability insurance, first aid certification and Passenger Service license, which allows to carry and transport clients and are the legal requirements for running this kind of business safely. All of this provides confidence and peace of mind to the clients that this local business offers only the high quality, safe and enjoyable experiences.
Price varies by group size
Price varies by group size
Enjoy wet and wild adventure in Skippers Canyon on this 4.5-hour Queenstown rafting and sightseeing adventure. Take a scenic drive into Skippers Canyon as a guide sheds light on the region’s rich gold-mining heritage. On arrival at base, strap into your safety kit and paddle onto the Shotover River’s swirling Class I and II rapids. During your descent, tackle the river’s swirling twists and turns with a guide and enjoy sweeping views over New Zealand’s beautiful countryside. Then, finish your adventure with a swim or a rock-jump.
Upon reaching Milford Sound, board a luxurious catamaran. Peer through panoramic windows of a luxury coach while you travel through the UNESCO-listed Fiordland National Park with a guide, before a memorable sightseeing cruise by Mitre Peak and the magnificent cliff-side waterfalls of Milford Sound.
The glacial waters, soaring cliffs, and thundering waterfalls of Milford Sound are spectacular from all angles, and this half-day tour takes in all the highlights. Enjoy thrilling aerial views of the Fiordland National Park on a round-trip flight from Queenstown, and marvel at Mitre Peak, Bowen Falls, and Mount Pembroke on a scenic Milford Sound cruise. Hotel pickup and drop-off is included.
Visit ‘The Lord of the Rings’ filming locations in Glenorchy, traveling by 4WD with an informative guide. Departing Queenstown for Middle-earth in the morning or afternoon, this half-day tour includes stunning countryside landscapes chosen by director Peter Jackson. See where famous scenes were filmed, such as the Fortress of Isengard, Lothlorien, Ithilien Camp and Forest of Amon Hen. Enjoy light refreshments and personalized attention on this small-group tour, limited to six passengers per vehicle.
Cruise across Lake Wakatipu to Walter Peak High Country Farm aboard the TSS ‘Earnslaw,’ a vintage steamship. Stroll the lakeside gardens and enjoy a traditional morning or afternoon tea and take a walking tour of the farm. You’ll watch sheepdogs in action and see sheep shearing demonstrations. Treat yourself to home-baked goods and alpine views of the Remarkables mountain range. Savor a delicious afternoon tea and an amble through lakeside gardens before heading back to Queenstown by boat.
Take a break from the hectic Queenstown streets with this trip into the mighty Southern Alps. Spend the day at Mount Cook Village, nestled in the shadow of Aoraki Mount Cook, New Zealand’s tallest mountain. Enjoy free reign to set your own schedule, whether it’s hiking around the Alps, speeding around in jet boats or learning more about the mountains at Sir Edmund Hillary Alpine Center.
Enjoy unobstructed views of the Remarkables and the Southern Alps during a catamaran cruise on Lake Wakatipu in Queenstown. Cruise accross the lake, stopping at Bob’s Cove to soak up the views from New Zealand's longest lake. Listen to the captain’s entertaining commentary about the natural landmarks and wildlife as you relax indoors or on the outdoor decks. You have a selection of morning and afternoon cruises to choose from.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What are the best Wildlife Encounters in Queenstown?
The best Wildlife Encounters in Queenstown according to Viator travelers are:
- Shotover River Rafting Trip from Queenstown
- Queenstown Shotover River White Water Rafting
- Dinner at Walter Peak High Country Farm and Cruise from Queenstown
- Private Full Day Photo Tour of Queenstown | Skippers | Glenorchy | Wanaka |Otago
- Family Adventures Rafting and Sightseeing Trip in Queenstown, New Zealand
What Wildlife Encounters in Queenstown are taking additional safety precautions?
These Queenstown experiences are providing additional COVID-19 safety measures:
What Wildlife Encounters in Queenstown are good for avoiding crowds?
These hidden gems in Queenstown may have limited interaction with crowds:
- Art & Culture
- Classes & Workshops
- Food & Drink
- Likely To Sell Out
- Outdoor Activities
- Extreme Sports
- In the Air
- Motor Sports
- Nature and Wildlife Tours
- Nature Walks
- Wildlife Encounters
- On the Ground
- On the Water
- Tickets & Passes
- Tours, Sightseeing & Cruises
- Travel & Transportation Services
- Seasonal & Special Occasions
- Unique Experiences
- Things to do in South Island
- Things to do in Wanaka
- Things to do in Akaroa
- Things to do in Picton
- Things to do in Wellington
- Things to do in Tongariro National Park
- Things to do in Hastings
- Things to do in Rotorua
- Things to do in North Island
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in South Australia
- Outdoor Activities in Queenstown
- 3 Days in Queenstown: Suggested Itineraries
- Family Friendly
- White Water Sledging
- Must-See Museums in Queenstown
- Where to Find the Best Views in Queenstown
- First-Timer’s Guide to Queenstown
- Things to Do in Queenstown with Kids
- Don’t Miss These Must-Do Activities in Queenstown
- Queenstown Neighborhood Guide
- Things to Do in Queenstown This Winter
Popular on Viator
- Statue of Liberty Tours and Tickets
- The White House Tours and Tickets
- Antelope Canyon Tours and Tickets
- Hoover Dam Tours and Tickets
- Alcatraz Tours and Tickets
- Stonehenge Tours and Tickets
- Auschwitz-Birkenau Memorial and Museum Tours and Tickets
- Beverly Hills Tours and Tickets
- Colosseum Tours and Tickets
- Washington Monument Tours and Tickets
- San Diego Zoo Tours and Tickets
- Space Needle Tours and Tickets
- Eiffel Tower Tours and Tickets
- Pearl Harbor National Memorial Tours and Tickets
- Empire State Building Tours and Tickets
- Art Institute of Chicago Tours and Tickets
- Aquarium of the Pacific Tours and Tickets
- Blue Lagoon Tours and Tickets
- Burj Khalifa Tours and Tickets
- Metropolitan Museum of Art (The Met) Tours and Tickets