Things to Do in Queenstown This Winter
Snowy peaks and bluebird skies keep Queenstown buzzing through the winter months of June to August. Ski areas draw an active crowd, but little snow at lower elevations means there’s also white-water rafting, wine tastings, and scenic flights across the Fiordland. Here are a few favorite ways to experience Queenstown in winter.
- Ski or snowboard the Remarkables on a day trip from Queenstown.
- See waterfalls at maximum flow on a Milford Sound cruise.
- Ride the Queenstown Skyline Gondola to a restaurant with mountain views.
- Try tandem skydiving over Queenstown’s gorgeous winter landscape.
- Spot Fiordland crested penguins on a Doubtful Sound cruise.
- Visit Lord of the Rings film locations along Lake Wakatipu.
- Taste local wines on a vineyard tour of the Otago Valley.
- Feast on farm-grown delicacies at the edge of Lake Wakatipu.
- Take off on a scenic helicopter flight with a glacier landing.
- Explore the Shotover River on a high-speed jet-boat ride.