Things to Do in Queenstown This Fall
Queenstown forests turn bright with autumn foliage during fall (March–May), as lingering summer heat tapers into cooler weather. Otago Valley wineries buzz with activity when the grape harvest begins in March, and conditions are perfect for a wide range of active adventures. Whether you’re chasing adrenaline sports or sipping local vintages, here’s how to experience Queenstown in the fall.
- Visit Otago Valley wineries for tastings during the grape harvest.
- Look down on fall’s red and yellow forests from the Queenstown Skyline Gondola.
- Cruise Milford Sound on a scenic trip through Fiordland National Park.
- Discover the Dart River by jet boat and “funyak.”
- Take in aerial views of fall colors on a thrilling tandem skydive.
- Travel to remote Doubtful Sound for a beautiful wilderness cruise.
- Explore Lord of the Rings film locations near Queenstown.
- Fly through the air on a zipline tour just outside of town.
- Experience the fall harvest bounty with on-farm dining.
- Touch down on a snowy glacier during a scenic helicopter flight.