Playacar Tours and Activities
Read MoreShow Less
Playacar is a gated community just south of Playa del Carmen, Mexico, which is known for its all-inclusive resorts and private beachfront villas. It's ideal for those who want to stay right on the sand and still be close to the excitement of Fifth Avenue. Playacar’s wide and not-too-crowded beaches are some of the nicest in Playa.
Playacar's resorts have gourmet restaurants, gorgeous pools, and offer a wide range of amenities for a relaxing and luxurious stay. Some of the big names that you’ll find here include Riu, Palace, and Occidental. Carved into the jungle, Playacar’s challenging 18-hole golf course is one of the top courses on the Riviera Maya. The neighborhood is also home to a bird aviary, an open-air shopping plaza, and a small group of Maya ruins.
Things to Know Before You Go
- English is widely spoken in almost all of the Playacar tourist areas.
- Bring sun protection and a hat or sunglasses, as the streets, golf course, and beaches offer little shade.
- Set aside some time to walk or take a taxi into the downtown area to shop and experience Fifth Avenue.
How to Get There
Most visitors to Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula arrive at Cancun International Airport, which is 45 to 60 minutes north of Playacar by car depending on traffic. If you’re vacationing in Playacar, chances are your resort will offer transportation options, or you can book a shuttle from the airport or rent a car there. Taxis are readily available to take visitors to and from Playa del Carmen’s bus station and downtown.
When to Get There
Playacar can be visited year-round. Winter sees large numbers of tourists, and the weeks before and after Easter are some of the busiest. Other times of the year are less crowded. From May to October, expect higher-than-average humidity and a chance of wet weather.
If you love to shop and want a mall experience that differs from what you’ll find back home, you don’t have to go any farther than Plaza Playacar. This small open-air Spanish colonial–style mall is full of shops that guarantee authenticity and quality. In addition to artisan crafts and Maya clothing and embroidery, you’ll also find T-shirts, key chains, and other souvenirs.
Address: Playa del Carmen, Mexico
0 Tours and Activities to Experience Playacar
No results found!
- Things to do in Riviera Maya & the Yucatan
- Things to do in Cozumel
- Things to do in Tulum
- Things to do in Cancun
- Things to do in Merida
- Things to do in Ambergris Caye
- Things to do in Belize City
- Things to do in Hopkins
- Things to do in San Ignacio
- Things to do in Placencia
- Things to do in San Pedro Sula
- Things to do in Grand Cayman
- Things to do in Panajachel
- Things to do in The Cayes
- Things to do in Petén