Wonderfood Museum Penang
The Wonderfood Museum displays detailed, Japanese-inspired food models. Items such as giant cendol desserts are perfect for selfies, while other displays, such as one that shows how food looks to the color blind, will get you thinking about food in a new way. Most travelers visit the Wonderfood Museum independently, while sightseeing around the city on foot or as a stop on the hop-on-hop-off-bus tour.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Wonderfood Museum is a must-visit for Instagrammers and fun for kids.
There are different entry fees for Malaysian and foreign nationals.
Make sure your camera/phone battery is well charged, as there are many fun photo opportunities at the museum.
How to Get There
Located in a pale-yellow, art deco building on Lebuh Pantai in the historic Georgetown area of Penang, the Wonderfood Museum is a 5-minute walk from the Queen Victoria Memorial Clocktower. If you’re staying in other parts of Penang, it’s best to get a taxi to Georgetown and then explore on foot from there.
When to Get There
The Wonderfood Museum is open every day from morning until early evening. If you don’t know much about Penang or Malaysian food and want to learn about it before diving into the street-food scene, this is a good place to go for inspiration near the beginning of your stay. Weekends mean bigger crowds and longer wait times to take photos.
Georgetown’s Street Art
Keep your eyes peeled as you walk the backstreets of Georgetown, famous for its street art. Many of the neighborhood’s murals are designed so that you can pose with them, and some cleverly utilize the building elements they’re painted onto, such as a girl doing a backbend over a doorway. Maps are available from tourist offices, but it can be fun just to wander and see what you stumble across.
- Things to do in Langkawi
- Things to do in Ko Lipe
- Things to do in Hat Yai
- Things to do in Petaling Jaya
- Things to do in Kuala Lumpur
- Things to do in Medan
- Things to do in Ko Lanta
- Things to do in Ko Phi Phi Don
- Things to do in Krabi
- Things to do in Phuket
- Things to do in Koh Samui
- Things to do in Phnom Penh
- Things to do in Kedah
- Things to do in Southern Thailand and Andaman Coast
- Things to do in Sumatra
- Pinang Peranakan Mansion
- Made in Penang Interactive Museum
- Khoo Kongsi (Leong San Tong Khoo Kongsi Clan House & Museum)
- Penang State Museum and Art Gallery
- Fort Cornwallis
- Penang Tunnel Museum (Penang Time Tunnel)
- Penang Armenian Street (Lebuh Armenian)
- Asia Camera Museum Penang
- Upside Down Museum
- Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion (Blue Mansion)
- Little India
- Penang House of Music
- Chayamangkalaram Buddhist Temple (Wat Chayamangkalaram)
- Penang Botanical Gardens (Taman Botani Penang)