Penang Bridge (Jambatan Pulau Pinang)
Aside from driving over the bridge, one of the best ways to see it up close is during a ferry ride across the Malacca Strait, a stretch of water that separates Malaysia from the Indonesian island of Sumatra. Several Penang sightseeing tours cover the bridge, in addition to other top island sites such as UNESCO-listed historic centre of Georgetown; the 18th-century Fort Cornwallis; the hilltop Kek Lok Si Temple; and Penang Hill, home to nature trails and wild monkeys.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Due to the high volume of traffic that crosses it, there are no pedestrians walkways on Penang Bridge.
- If you are driving across the bridge in your own vehicle, you’ll need to pay a toll; the price depends on the size of the vehicle that you’re driving.
- The sheer scale of Penang Bridge is sure to impress architecture buffs.
How to Get There
If you’re traveling from mainland Malaysia to Penang by road, you’ll need to cross the bridge in order to reach the island. From Georgetown, the bridge is a 25-minute drive via Jambatan Pulau Pinang.
When to Get There
Every year since it opened, Penang Bridge (Jambatan Pulau Pinang) opens to pedestrians at the end of November, when the Penang marathon takes place. Usually held on a Sunday, the sporting event is a grand celebration.
Things to Do in Seberang Prai You don’t have to cross over to Penang to find several attractions. In Seberang Prai in mainland Malaysia, you can take a stroll down the brightly-colored Butterworth Art Walk; observe rare species of exotic bird at Penang Bird Park, set among tropical greenery; and admire the intricate architecture of the Taoist Temple of the Nine Emperors.
- Things to do in Langkawi
- Things to do in Ko Lipe
- Things to do in Hat Yai
- Things to do in Petaling Jaya
- Things to do in Kuala Lumpur
- Things to do in Medan
- Things to do in Ko Lanta
- Things to do in Ko Phi Phi Don
- Things to do in Krabi
- Things to do in Phuket
- Things to do in Koh Samui
- Things to do in Phnom Penh
- Things to do in Kedah
- Things to do in Southern Thailand and Andaman Coast
- Things to do in Sumatra