For a quick introduction to the history and folklore of the village, head straight to the Volendams Museum. Opt for a guided tour for additional insight into the culture of the region. Day trips to Voldendam typically leave from Amsterdam and often include round-trip transportation as well as visits to other top countryside sights like Zaanse Schan and the Dutch windmills.
Things to know before you go
- The museum is a must-see for visitors interested in Dutch history and culture.
- Visitors typically spend from 1-2 hours at the museum.
- Admission is free to the museum with the i Amsterdam City Pass.
- The Volendam Museum is wheelchair- and stroller-accessible.
How to get there
The village of Volendam is located 16 miles (25 kilometers) northeast of Amsterdam. Volendam is easily reached via public transportation from Amsterdam Central Stationisitors can take the 110 or 316 bus directly to Volendam. The village is also within cycling distance of central Amsterdam and makes for a particularly scenic ride.
When to get there
The museum is open daily from early March through mid-November and closes annually during the winter months. Museum hours may vary, so it’s best to check the museum website for current hours prior to your visit.
The Volendam Cigar Bands House
Visitors to the Voldendams Museum won’t want to miss the cigar band house, a curious collection of mosaics made from millions of cigar bands. Beginning in 1947, a former Voldendam fishermen Nico Molenaar started collecting all types of cigar bands and assembling them into designs on the walls and ceilings of his house. The mosaics were added to over the years by other artists and then the collection was taken over by the Volendam Museum in 1993.
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in South Holland
- Things to do in Flanders
- Things to do in Northern Germany
- Things to do in Amsterdam
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Nord-Pas de Calais
- Things to do in East of England
- Things to do in South East England
- Things to do in Yorkshire
- Things to do in Île-de-France
- Things to do in Alsace