Tamayo Museum (Museo Tamayo)
Founded in 1981, Tamayo Museum’s noteworthy building was designed by Abraham Zabludovsky and Teodoro González de León. While it’s worth a visit just to see the sleek exterior—many hop-on hop-off bus services and guided Segway tours pass by the Tamayo Museum—the real appeal lies with the artwork inside. There, explore the modern and contemporary exhibits and marvel over pieces by Georgia O’Keefe and Barbara Hepworth. Guided tours are available twice daily for visitors keen to know more.
Things to Know Before You Go
Art lovers won’t want to miss the impressive collections at the Tamayo Museum.
There’s an on-site gift store and restaurant.
Children under 12 enter for free, while admission is free for all on Sundays.
The Tamayo Museum is fully stroller and wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
Conveniently situated on the border of Reforma Avenue and Chapultepec Park, Tamayo Museum is easily accessible on foot or by public transit. The closest stations are Chapultepec (Metro, Line 1) and Gandhi (Metrobus, Line 1).
When to Get There
The Tamayo Museum is typically open Tuesday through Sunday from 10am to 6pm. Budget travelers may prefer to visit on Sunday when admission is free; however, the museum will be busier than normal. Guided visits are held twice daily in Spanish. Book in advance for an English-language tour.
Explore Chapultepec Park
One of the largest urban green spaces in Latin America, Chapultepec Park (Bosque de Chapultepec) is home to several stellar art museums, family-friendly attractions, and monuments of historical significance. Be sure to stop by the imposing Chapultepec Castle, which offers views over the entire city, as well as the vast Anthropology Museum and the immersive Papalote Children’s Museum.
- Things to do in Central Mexico
- Things to do in Taxco
- Things to do in Acapulco
- Things to do in Puerto Escondido
- Things to do in Puerto Vallarta
- Things to do in Monterrey
- Things to do in South Padre Island
- Things to do in San Pedro La Laguna
- Things to do in Panajachel
- Things to do in Guerrero
- Things to do in Oaxaca
- Things to do in Jalisco
- Things to do in Western Highlands
- Mexico City Museum of Modern Art (Museo de Arte Moderno)
- Museum of Modern Art (Museo de Arte Moderno)
- National Museum of Anthropology (Museo Nacional de Antropología)
- Chapultepec Castle (Castillo de Chapultepec)
- Angel of Independence (Monumento a la Independencia)
- Centro Historico
- Chapultepec Park (Bosque de Chapultepec)
- La Feria Chapultepec
- La Condesa
- Papalote Children's Museum (Papalote Museo del Niño)
- Reforma 222
- Mexico City Wax Museum (Museo de Cera Ciudad de Mexico)
- Ripley's Believe It or Not! Mexico