Shrine of Remembrance
Delve deeper into the history and symbolism of the Shrine of Remembrance on a dedicated tour, which reveals more about the building’s purpose and tells the stories of the Australians that it memorializes. The majority of Melbourne sightseeing tours also stop by the landmark: cycle past on a bike tour; explore the shrine at your own pace as part of a hop-on hop-off bus tour; or admire the Shrine of Remembrance from the comfort of a horse-drawn carriage.
Things to know before you go
- The Shrine of Remembrance is a must-visit landmark for history buffs.
- Though there is no admission fee to the shrine, donations are welcomed.
- The Shrine of Remembrance is barrier-free and lower-level areas—such as the Crypt and Sanctuary—are accessible by lift.
- The solemn nature of the memorial means that visitors are encouraged to observe silence.
How to get there
If you’re using public transport to reach the Shrine of Remembrance, embark on any southbound tram from Federation Square—except route #1—and disembark at stop #19 Shrine of Remembrance. Flinders Street rail station is a 20-minute walk from the shrine.
When to get there
Ticketed walking tours of the Shrine of Remembrance are available during early afternoons, but advance booking is essential. The shrine is open regularly throughout the year and opening hours are typically morning to early evening. Please note the shrine may be closed on certain holidays/special events including Good Friday and Christmas Day.
King’s Domain Gardens
As well as harboring the Shrine of Remembrance, the King’s Domain Gardens boasts several attractions. Inhale the fragrant scent of roses in the Queen Victoria Garden, famous for its manicured flower beds, or admire views of the Yarra River at the Alexandra Gardens, which feature barbecue areas.
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Yarra Valley
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Hobart
- Things to do in Adelaide
- Things to do in Sydney
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Queensland
- Things to do in South Island
- Visiting the Little Penguins
- How to Pick a Great Ocean Road Tour
- Wine Tasting in Yarra Valley
- Melbourne Street Art
- Shopping in Melbourne
- Holiday & Seasonal Tours
- Sightseeing on a Budget in Melbourne
- Don't Miss These Must-Do Activities in Melbourne
- Things to Do in Melbourne This Fall
- Things to Do in Melbourne This Spring
- Top Parks and Gardens in Melbourne
- Art Lover's Guide to Melbourne
- First-Timers Guide to Melbourne