Royal Botanic Gardens Victoria
Since 1846, the Royal Botanic Gardens Victoria have provided Melburnians with an escape from busy city life. With a mix of native and exotic plant species, there is always something interesting happening in this massive park. Many city tours pass by and discuss the gardens, one of the main highlights of the city, and specialized tours—such as Aboriginal heritage tours—go in-depth into its history and horticulture.
Recent reviews from experiences in Melbourne
Things to Know Before You Go
The Royal Botanic Gardens Victoria are ideal for botany buffs and spontaneous travelers who want a respite from the busy streets of Melbourne.
The gardens are free to enter.
Wear comfortable walking shoes and bring a water bottle to enjoy your time strolling around the massive gardens.
Except for the Melbourne Observatory buildings, the gardens are accessible to wheelchairs and strollers. Wheelchairs are available at the visitor center and the Terrace Café from 9am to 5pm daily.
How to Get There
The Royal Botanic Gardens Victoria are a 15-minute walk from Flinders Street Station. Many trams run up and down St. Kilda Road to the various garden entrances, which are located within the city’s Free Tram Zone.
When to Get There
The gardens are open daily from 7:30am to sunset. The best time to visit is in spring, when all the plants are in bloom and the city is less crowded.
An Indigenous History
Get to know Australia’s indigenous history and its native plant life at the Royal Botanic Gardens Victoria, which feature extensive information on Australia’s native people. For a richer cultural experience, take an Aboriginal Heritage Walk and learn how tribes use the plants as food and medicine, and even see a traditional smoking ceremony.
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Yarra Valley
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Hobart
- Things to do in Adelaide
- Things to do in Sydney
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Queensland
- Things to do in South Island
- Visiting the Little Penguins
- How to Pick a Great Ocean Road Tour
- Wine Tasting in Yarra Valley
- Melbourne Street Art
- Shopping in Melbourne
- Holiday & Seasonal Tours
- Sightseeing on a Budget in Melbourne
- Don't Miss These Must-Do Activities in Melbourne
- Things to Do in Melbourne This Fall
- Things to Do in Melbourne This Spring
- Top Parks and Gardens in Melbourne
- Art Lover's Guide to Melbourne
- First-Timers Guide to Melbourne