Travelers love strolling Venice Beach to take in the bohemian boardwalk and its brightly colored murals, funky shops, and street performers, including the Sunday afternoon drum circle. A hop-on hop-off bus tour is a great way to explore Venice Beach on your own schedule, while renting bikes or roller skates enables you to cover more ground—and blend in with the locals. This sandy spot is typically visited on Los Angeles city sightseeing tours and is sometimes paired with a stop in Santa Monica.
Recent reviews from experiences in Los Angeles
Things to Know Before You Go
Venice Beach is a must-see for sun worshippers looking to experience Southern California’s beach scene.
Venice Beach offers a number of shops, restaurants, and cafes for travelers interested in souvenirs and dining.
Accessible parking, picnic tables, and restrooms are available; visit a lifeguard stand to inquire about beach wheelchair rentals.
How to Get There
Venice Beach is located southeast of Santa Monica, along California’s famous Pacific Coast Highway. Street parking can be found along the beach and on Abbot Kinney Boulevard, and there are also a few parking lots.
When to Get There
Venice Beach is a public outdoor beach, open 365 days a year. It’s busiest on Sundays and less crowded on weekdays. Temperatures can reach up to 100°F (38°C) in summer, while average winter temperatures are about 60°F (15°C).
Prominent Residents of Venice Beach
Notable Venice homeowners include Hollywood stars Julia Roberts, Viggo Mortensen, Kate Beckinsale, Rutger Hauer, Anjelica Huston, and Elijah Wood. Actor Robert Downey Jr. kept an apartment on the boardwalk during the 1990s, and decades before, musician Jim Morrison met Ray Manzarek and formed the Doors while living in Venice. Arnold Schwarzenegger’s acting career began after he became a regular bodybuilder at Venice’s famous Gold’s Gym. And restaurateur Wolfgang Puck has owned and operated restaurants here since the 1990s.
- Things to do in California
- Things to do in Santa Monica
- Things to do in Long Beach
- Things to do in Anaheim & Buena Park
- Things to do in Santa Barbara
- Things to do in La Jolla
- Things to do in Palm Springs
- Things to do in San Diego
- Things to do in Pismo Beach
- Things to do in San Luis Obispo
- Things to do in Paso Robles
- Things to do in Las Vegas
- Things to do in Sausalito
- Things to do in Nevada
- Things to do in Arizona
- Venice Canals (Venice Canal Historic District)
- Marvin Braude Bike Trail
- Santa Monica Beach and Pier
- Heal the Bay Aquarium
- Santa Monica Place
- Los Angeles Montana Avenue
- Third Street Promenade
- Los Angeles Palisades Park
- Hammer Museum
- Annenberg Space for Photography
- Museum of Tolerance (MOT)
- J. Paul Getty Museum (The Getty)
- Getty Villa
- Rodeo Drive
- Beverly Hills