The Magic Castle
Once a private mansion, this stately turn-of-the-century residence turned private club is the stuff of legend. Though the castle is members only, you may have a shot at a non-resident membership if you live more than 60 miles (100 kilometers) outside of Los Angeles. Otherwise, there are two ways to visit the castle without a membership. The first is to stay at the nearby Magic Castle Hotel, and the second is with a member's guest card.
The castle is conveniently located right off Hollywood Boulevard, so you can easily pair a visit with a stroll along the Walk of Fame, a haunted Hollywood tour, or even an area scavenger hunt. Most Hollywood tours and activities include stops at nearby attractions, like the TCL Chinese Theatre.
Things to know before you go
- You need a membership or a guest card for entry to the Magic Castle.
- Dress up, not down—the dress code requires a jacket and tie.
- Leave the kids at home, since evening shows are for guests aged 21 and older.
- Eat, drink, and be merry—dining is required with your visit, and the castle has bars and a full-service restaurant.
- The castle has nightly shows, and three theaters.
How to get there
You can find the Magic Castle on Franklin Avenue, in Hollywood. If you drive, take the Hollywood Freeway to exit 8C, if you're heading north, or exit 9C, if you're driving south. The castle offers valet parking. Hop-on hop-off bus tours may also be a great option, since stops along Hollywood Boulevard are typically included.
When to get there
The Magic Castle is the perfect place for dinner and a show, so arrive as early as 5pm to get your evening started. Dinner is served before the main show, and the castle may stay open as late as 2am on busy nights. You should arrive early, and stay late.
Where to Stay Near the Castle
Since the Magic Castle Hotel is right next door, it's a great option for a comfy place to stay. The hotel includes Wi-Fi, a pool, and even a popsicle hotline that you can ring for an ice cold treat. With free snacks, laundry, and breakfast, it offers a great deal in a typically pricey town.
- Things to do in California
- Things to do in Santa Monica
- Things to do in Long Beach
- Things to do in Anaheim & Buena Park
- Things to do in Santa Barbara
- Things to do in La Jolla
- Things to do in Palm Springs
- Things to do in San Diego
- Things to do in Pismo Beach
- Things to do in San Luis Obispo
- Things to do in Paso Robles
- Things to do in Las Vegas
- Things to do in Sausalito
- Things to do in Nevada
- Things to do in Arizona
- TCL Chinese Theatre
- Hollywood & Highland
- Madame Tussauds Hollywood
- Dolby Theatre
- Hard Rock Café Hollywood
- El Capitan Theatre
- Hollywood Guinness World Records Museum
- Ripley's Believe It or Not! Hollywood
- Hollywood Wax Museum Los Angeles
- Hollywood Museum
- Egyptian Theatre
- Runyon Canyon Park
- Hollywood Hills
- Hollywood Bowl