Newport Beach Tours and Activities
Read MoreShow Less
Hailed as one of Southern California's most beautiful beaches, Newport Beach beckons with miles of wide-open, sandy shores that make Los Angeles traffic feel a world away. Despite being fringed by multimillion dollar real estate, the beach maintains a laid-back vibe thanks to an endless summer surf culture and tourist-friendly amenities.
There's room for everyone on Newport Beach, from joggers and surfers to bikini-clad bathers and families setting up for swimming and sandcastles. Stroll along the historic pier and beach promenade lined with restaurants and shops, soak up local culture at nearby Orange County Museum of Art, or boost your wardrobe at nearby Fashion Island shopping mall. Newport Beach is a departure port for whale-watching tours and a popular stop on multi-beach sightseeing day trips from LA.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Lifeguard stands are scattered along the beach, but waves should still be approached with caution.
- Dining options for all budgets are available from snack shops to restaurants along the promenade.
- Accommodations range from five-star hotels to beach bungalow vacation rentals.
- Pay close attention to parking meter time limits and paid lot instructions, as they are patrolled regularly.
How to Get There
Newport Beach is located 50 miles (80 kilometers) south of Los Angeles and 85 miles (137 kilometers) north of San Diego. The easiest way to arrive is by car, and paid street parking and parking lots are available nearby. The free Balboa Peninsula Trolley runs up and down the coast on summer weekends. If arriving by air, John Wayne Airport in Orange County is just 8 miles (13 kilometers) away for a short drive.
When to Get There
Like the rest of Southern California, Newport Beach is famous for year-round sunny, warm weather. Whale-watching cruises depart year-round. The season for sighting grey whales is December through April, while giant blue whales are more likely to be seen May through November.
A short ferry ride from Newport Beach, Balboa Island is a chic city-within-a-city packed with bohemian shops and coastal eateries. Surrounded by protected bay waters, it's a perfect spot to practice stand-up paddle boarding, kayaking, and other water sports. Alternatively, explore the streets on foot or via electric bike, and then indulge in fresh seafood at one of its many shoreline restaurants. Save room for dessert—Balboa Island is famous for its signature chocolate-dipped frozen bananas.
Address: Newport Beach, California, USA
2 Tours and Activities to Experience Newport Beach
This is an exclusive PrivateTour given by an expert photographer guide. You will have an amazing experience on this expedition.
Taking safety measures
Face masks required for travelers in public areas
See the top attractions in Los Angeles with a sightseeing pass that saves you time and money during your trip to southern California. The pass covers admission for your choice of three, four, or five attractions out of more than 20 options, and it remains valid for 30 consecutive days. The pass is delivered instantly after purchase, and comes with a guidebook to attractions that provides you with essential information.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What's the best way to experience Newport Beach?
The best ways to experience Newport Beach are:
- Two-day Los Angeles & San Diego Private Tour
- The Los Angeles Sightseeing Flex Pass: Save Big on 20+ Hollywood Attractions
Things to do near Los Angeles
- Things to do in California
- Things to do in Santa Monica
- Things to do in Long Beach
- Things to do in Santa Barbara
- Things to do in La Jolla
- Things to do in Palm Springs
- Things to do in San Diego
- Things to do in Pismo Beach
- Things to do in San Luis Obispo
- Things to do in Paso Robles
- Things to do in Las Vegas
- Things to do in Yosemite National Park
- Things to do in Sausalito
- Things to do in Nevada
- Things to do in Arizona