Once the capital of Poland, Krakow may be best known for its castle and charming old town. But those who want a deeper introduction to Polish history can head to the city’s plethora of interesting, informative museums. Here are a few top picks.
Rynek Główny 35, Krakow, 33-332
With its convenient, central location, it’s easy to visit Krzysztofory Palace independently and peruse the Krakow Museum’s permanent exhibit on the city’s urban development while exploring the city’s Old Town. Museum entrance is included in multi-day museum and transport passes, which also cover many of Krakow’s other cultural, artistic, and historical museums and galleries. Save time by booking tickets online, either for the palace alone or in combination with the more popular Rynek Underground Museum.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Krakow Museum requires an admission fee.
The museum is accessible to wheelchair users, and some exhibits are accessible to visitors with vision and hearing disabilities.
The ground floor has a well-stocked gift shop.
How to Get There
Krzysztofory Palace stands on one corner of Krakow’s market square (Rynek Główny), itself one of the city’s major attractions and easy to reach on foot or by public transit. Most visitors will spend some time here during their Old Town Krakow explorations.
When to Get There
The museum is open daily except Monday from midmorning to late afternoon, with last entry 30 minutes before closing. Budget-minded travelers should aim to visit on Tuesday, when some exhibits are free.
Other Branches of the Krakow Museum
The Krzysztofory Palace houses just one branch of the Krakow Museum. Other branches include the Rynek Underground Museum, an archaeological site discovered in the 21st century; the Oskar Schindler Factory of the famed Nazi resister; the 15th-century Barbican, gateway to the Old Town; the Old Synagogue in Ulica Szeroka; and the Communist-built suburb of Nowa Huta. Visitors can follow themed cycling or walking trails that connect these various branches.
- Things to do in Wroclaw
- Things to do in Warsaw
- Things to do in Budapest
- Things to do in Lviv
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Schwechat
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Poznan
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Berlin
- Things to do in Lower Austria
- Things to do in Western Romania
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Historical Museum of the City of Krakow
- Krakow Old Town (Kraków Stare Miasto)
- Rynek Underground (Podziemia Rynku)
- Cloth Hall (Sukiennice)
- Gallery of 19th-Century Polish Art (Galeria Sztuki Polskiej XIX Wieku w Sukiennicach)
- Krakow Town Hall Tower (Wieza Ratuszowa w Krakowie)
- Chopin Concert Hall (Chopin Gallery)
- Adam Mickiewicz Monument (Pomnik Adama Mickiewicza)
- St. Adalbert Church (Kościól Św. Wojciecha)
- Rynek Glowny (Main Market Square)
- St. Mary's Basilica (Kościól Mariacki)
- Jagiellonian University (Uniwersytet Jagielloński)
- Hipolit House (Kamienica Hipolitów)
- Jan Matejko House (Dom Jana Matejki)
- St. Florian's Gate (Brama Floriańska)