Tomb of Tu Duc (Lang Tu Duc)
As one of the major historical attractions in Hue, the Tomb of Tu Duc is a staple of sightseeing tours, which provide a cost-effective and convenient way to tick off more attractions in less time. Introductory tours typically combine stops at the tomb with the UNESCO World Heritage-listed Hue Citadel (Da Noi), Dong Ba Market, and a boat ride on the Perfume River, while history-themed tours tend to focus primarily on historic sites.
Things to know before you go
- The ceremonial arch that heralds the entrance of the Tomb of Tu Duc makes for excellent photos.
- The tomb is set amid a pine forest with uneven terrain, making it difficult for travelers in wheelchairs and strollers to access.
- Visit the tomb as part of a day trip from Hoi An or Da Nang, which typically travel via the Hai Van Pass, considered one of the most scenic roads in the country.
How to get there
If you like to cycle, you can access the tomb via a flat and scenic route that runs beside the Perfume River (Song Huong River). Public transport does not service the tomb, so in order to skip the hassle of car hire, visit as part of a wider city tour.
When to get there
The tomb is open daily from early morning until early evening; try to arrive in the early morning to beat the crowds and the midday heat. To see the tomb’s surrounding foliage in full bloom, visit following the monsoon season in December.
The Tombs of Hue
As the imperial capital of Vietnam, Hue is home to several royal tombs. If you’ve only got limited time in the historic city, make a beeline for the Minh Mang Tomb, renowned for its symmetrical Chinese design; the Gothic, gray complex of Khai Dinh, characterized by its French style; and the tomb of Gia Long, whose dilapidated facade harbors a rich history.
- Forbidden Purple City (Tu Cam Thanh)
- Perfume River (Song Huong River)
- Bao Quoc Pagoda (Chua Bao Quoc)
- Ho Chi Minh Museum
- Dong Ba Market (Cho Dong Ba)
- Flag Tower (Ky Dai)
- Royal Antiquities Museum
- Thai Hoa Palace
- Noon Gate (Cua Ngo Mon)
- Nine Dynastic Urns
- Thanh Toan Bridge
- Cat Tuong Quan Zen House
- Tinh Tam Lake (Ho Tinh Tam)
- Khai Dinh Tomb
- Bach Ma National Park (Vuon Quoc gia Bach Ma)