Plaza de la Constitución (Parque Central)
As Guatemala City’s central hub and the site of two of its top landmarks, Plaza de la Constitución is a natural sightseeing jumping-off point. Almost all city sightseeing tours stop here so travelers can see the Metropolitan Cathedral and the imposing National Palace. For a more comprehensive understanding of Guatemalan history, join a combo tour that explores both Guatemala City—including Plaza de la Constitución—and the former colonial capital of Antigua.
Things to know before you go
- Visitors can explore the National Palace, now a museum, on a guided tour.
- Street vendors on the square sell food and souvenirs.
- The plaza is in the center of Guatemala City’s historical district, with many major attractions, including Central Market (Mercado Central) and Casa MIMA museum, within easy walking distance.
How to get there
Plaza de la Constitución is in Zone 1, the historic center of Guatemala City. Transmetro bus line 1, which runs on dedicated lanes separate from regular traffic, stops at Parque Centenario station.
When to get there
The plaza is best visited during the day. There is more going on at this time, and nearby shops and attractions are open.
The Metropolitan Cathedral
The mammoth, domed Metropolitan Cathedral stands proud on the east end of Plaza de la Constitución. Built between 1782 and 1815, the cathedral blends baroque and neoclassical architecture, and has withstood numerous earthquakes over the years. Today, it’s the setting of a memorial dedicated to the casualties of the Guatemalan Civil War.
- Things to do in Central Highlands
- Things to do in Antigua
- Things to do in Panajachel
- Things to do in San Pedro La Laguna
- Things to do in Puerto Quetzal
- Things to do in San Salvador
- Things to do in San Pedro Sula
- Things to do in San Ignacio
- Things to do in Hopkins
- Things to do in Belize City
- Things to do in León
- Things to do in Ambergris Caye
- Things to do in Roatan
- Things to do in Pacific Highlands
- Things to do in Western Highlands
- Iglesia de Santo Domingo
- Relief Map (Mapa en Relieve)
- National Palace
- Popol Vuh Museum (Museo Popol Vuh)
- La Aurora Zoo (Zoólogico la Aurora)
- Metropolitan Cathedral (Catedral Metropolitana)
- National Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology (MUNAE)
- IRTRA Mundo Petapa
- Mixco Viejo
- Biotopo del Quetzal
- Santo Tomas Church (Iglesia de Santo Tomás)