Ethnographic Museum (Rupe Museum)
The museum’s simple yet spacious galleries showcase elements of 19th-century peasant life in Dalmatia and other regions of Croatia. Look for exhibits on traditional methods of grape harvesting, winemaking, fishing, and weaving alongside displays of storage bags made of hide and hand-painted Easter eggs. Three of the granary’s original grain silos are incorporated into the exhibition of tools and household implements on the ground floor, while second-floor highlights include colorful peasant costumes, embroidered textiles, and hand-made lace shawls from Dalmatia.
The exterior of the Ethnographic Museum is a popular stop on Dubrovnik Game of Thrones tours, as it was used as a filming location for the fictional Littlefinger’s Brothel. The surrounding streets are also featured as the King’s Landing slum known as Flea Bottom.
Things to know before you go
- Visit Dubrovnik’s four other civic museums with the same ticket (the Natural History and Modern Art Museums, House of Marin Drzic, and Gallery Dulčić Masle Pulitika).
- Admission is free for holders of the Dubrovnik Card attraction pass.
- Many placards are not translated into English, but museum staff may be able to offer explanations.
- The entire museum can be seen in about an hour.
How to get there
The Rupe Museum is best accessed on foot through the pedestrianized streets of Dubrovnik’s Old Town.
When to get there
The museum has extended evening hours during the summer; it is open daily except for Tuesdays.
*Game of Thrones* Filming Locations in Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik was featured in Game of Thrones more than any other city and has become a popular tourist destination for fans of the wildly popular HBO series. In addition to the Rupe Museum, other filming locations include Fort Lovrijenac (the Red Keep), Pile Gate (the entrance to King’s Landing), the Iron Throne inside Dubrovnik City Shop, and the steps of the Church of St. Ignatius of Loyola (site of Cersei’s “walk of shame”).
- Things to do in Dalmatia
- Things to do in Kotor
- Things to do in Budva
- Things to do in Podgorica
- Things to do in Makarska
- Things to do in Sarajevo
- Things to do in Hvar
- Things to do in Split
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Sorrento
- Things to do in Zagreb
- Things to do in Sofia
- Things to do in Rome
- Things to do in Adriatic Coast
- Things to do in Puglia
- House of Marin Drzic (Dom Marina Drzica)
- Fort Bokar
- Onofrio's Fountain
- Dubrovnik Ancient City Walls
- Pile Gate
- Stradun (Placa)
- Church of St. Blaise (Crkva Sv. Vlaha)
- Sponza Palace (Palaca Sponza)
- Dubrovnik Old Town
- Love Stories Museum
- Orlando's Column (Orlandov Stup)
- Dubrovnik Bell Tower
- Dubrovnik Cathedral Treasury
- St. Lawrence Fortress (Fort Lovrijenac)
- Franciscan Church and Monastery