Plaza del Sol
Stroll by small shops and restaurants, admire the square’s gazebo and clock tower, and snap a photo next to the giant “Isla Cozumel” sign. Due to its port-side location, Plaza del Sol is an ideal spot to familiarize yourself with the island’s local culture. It’s also a good jumping-off point to explore other Cozumel destinations—taxis ply the streets and you can rent cars, motorcycles, and scooters close by.
Things to Know Before You Go
Plaza del Sol is a must-see for culture and nightlife lovers.
It’s a good idea to carry cash (in Mexican pesos) to use at local restaurants, bars, and shops.
Remember to bring sun protection and comfortable walking shoes.
While many locals speak at least some English, it can be helpful to learn some simple Spanish phrases.
How to Get There
Plaza del Sol is located adjacent to Cozumel’s main port in San Miguel, the island’s only city. Most San Miguel attractions are within walking distance of the town square, while taxis, rental cars, and scooters are good ways to travel from other spots on the island. Ferries travel between Playa del Carmen and Cozumel every hour or so, and take roughly 30 minutes.
When to Get There
You can visit Plaza del Sol year-round, but it’s busiest from December through April, when the weather tends to be sunny and warm. There are fewer crowds during hurricane season (May through October), but be sure to check the weather for storms.
What to See in Cozumel
Snorkeling and scuba diving are the most popular activities in Cozumel, an island famous for rich coral landscapes such as the Paradise, Palancar, and Columbia reefs. On land, Punta Sur Eco Beach Park is a must-see for nature lovers, while the San Gervasio Ruins offer insight into the island’s ancient Maya history. Discover Mexico Cultural Park is a good spot for families with kids, while Chankanaab National Park offers dolphin encounters, zip lining, and tequila tasting.
- Things to do in Riviera Maya & the Yucatan
- Things to do in Playa del Carmen
- Things to do in Tulum
- Things to do in Cancun
- Things to do in Costa Maya
- Things to do in Merida
- Things to do in Ambergris Caye
- Things to do in Belize City
- Things to do in Hopkins
- Things to do in San Pedro Sula
- Things to do in Grand Cayman
- Things to do in Panajachel
- Things to do in San Pedro La Laguna
- Things to do in The Cayes
- Things to do in Central Highlands
- Cozumel Museum (Museo de la Isla de Cozumel)
- Punta Sur Eco Beach Park (Faro Celerain Ecological Reserve)
- Chankanaab Adventure Beach Park
- Playa Uvas Beach Club
- El Cedral
- Discover Mexico Park Cozumel
- Santa Rosa Wall
- Cozumel Cruise Port
- Tormentos Reef
- Paradise Reef (Paraíso Reef)
- Cozumel Reefs National Marine Park
- Columbia Reef
- San Gervasio Mayan Ruins
- Corona Beach (Playa Corona)
- Playa Mia Grand Beach Park