Cancun Christ the King Church (Iglesia de Cristo Rey)
Visitors to Christ the King Church praise its welcoming atmosphere. Built in 1972, the church is architecturally significant, as it boasts a uniquely modern design that is unlike any other religious structure in the city. It’s located in the popular downtown plaza called Parque las Palapas, where there are plenty of local food vendors, as well as street carts selling churros and other snacks. The church is also a popular choice for baptisms and weddings.
Things to Know Before You Go
Street parking is available near the church.
There is a small store on-site that sells rosaries and other religious items.
English translations of the readings are offered.
How to Get There
The church is located in Parque las Palapas in downtown Cancún, a 15-minute drive from Cancún’s hotel zone. You can hop the R1 bus, which makes stops all along the hotel zone, and head downtown. The nearest bus stop to the church is located near Monumento a la Historia de Mexico, a 5-minute walk from the church.
When to Get There
Mass takes place at various times throughout the week, Monday to Sunday; confessions are heard 30 minutes before each Mass. Sunday Mass tends to be crowded, so arrive early in order to secure a seat. There are also special services for holy days, such as the Mass to the Virgin of Guadalupe on December 11. The Chapel of the Holy Sacrament is open 24 hours.
The Chacchoben Ruins
Experience another type of spirituality by visiting the Chacchoben Ruins, the largest Maya archaeological site in Costa Maya. Located about 110 miles (177 kilometers) south of Tulum, the site includes two main temple pyramids, plus a third, smaller pyramid. After the collapse of the Maya civilization, it’s believed, Chacchoben remained a ceremonial center for rituals. Day trips from Cancún and the surrounding cities are available.
- Things to do in Riviera Maya & the Yucatan
- Things to do in Playa del Carmen
- Things to do in Cozumel
- Things to do in Tulum
- Things to do in Costa Maya
- Things to do in Merida
- Things to do in Ambergris Caye
- Things to do in Belize City
- Things to do in Hopkins
- Things to do in Grand Cayman
- Things to do in San Pedro Sula
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Sarasota
- Things to do in The Cayes
- Things to do in Central Highlands
- Palapas Park (Parque Las Palapas)
- El Rey Archaeological Zone (Zona Arqueológica El Rey)
- Cenote Nohoch Nah Chich
- Cancun Scenic Tower (Torre Escénica)
- Jolly Roger Pirate Ship
- Captain Hook Cancun
- Nichupté Lagoon
- La Isla Shopping Village
- Interactive Aquarium Cancun
- Cancun Wax Museum (Museo de Cera Cancún)
- Mandala Cancun Nightclub
- Cancun Hotel Zone (Avenida Kukulkan)
- Cancun Underwater Museum of Art (Museo Subacuático de Arte)
- Mayan Museum of Cancun (Museo Maya de Cancún)
- Kin Ha Water Park (Balneario Kin Ha)