Gellért Hill (Gellert-Hegy)
A top Budapest attraction, Gellert Hill is included on most city sightseeing tours. Walking tours typically include a hike up the hill and a stop for photo ops at the Citadel, while some excursions pair a trip to Gellert Hill with must-do activities such as a Danube River cruise. If you’re short on time, skip the hike and choose a citywide sightseeing tour or Tuk-Tuk tour.
Private day trips from nearby cities—including Bratislava and Vienna—typically include Gellert Hill on the Budapest sightseeing itinerary. In spring and summer, bike and Segway tours are ideal for exploring Gellert and soaking up the fantastic weather.
Things to Know Before You Go
A Danube River cruise offers a different perspective of Gellert Hill and the imposing Citadel.
The hill is a popular picnic spot—bring wine and cheese to enjoy a lunch or dinner with panoramic views.
If you plan to climb the steps, wear comfortable shoes for the steady ascent.
How to Get There
For the most scenic route, take the tram to the Rudas Gyógyfürdő stop, and hike the stone stairway up the hill. Travelers that want to minimize walking can take the metro to the bus. From the Pest side of the city, hop on the M4 metro line to Móricz Zsigmond körtér. From there, take the 27 bus up Gellert Hill.
When to Get There
Though the hike up Gellert Hill may be peaceful, the Citadel tends to be busy throughout the year. To avoid crowds, plan to visit after dinner and take in views of Budapest's city lights sparkling across the river. This outdoor attraction is most enjoyable in pleasant weather—plan to arrive in spring or fall for warm days and pleasantly cool evenings, without the summer crowds.
Budapest's Famous Thermal Baths
At the foot of the wooded slopes of Gellert Hill, a renowned spa offers the chance to soak in Budapest's famously rejuvenating thermal waters. The art nouveau Gellert Thermal Bath is part of the historic Gellert Hotel. Here you can marvel at ornate mosaics while relaxing in the pools, steam baths, and saunas.
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Schwechat
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Timisoara
- Things to do in Graz
- Things to do in Krakow
- Things to do in Zagreb
- Things to do in Belgrade
- Things to do in Cluj-Napoca
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Lower Austria
- Things to do in Western Romania
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Rudas Thermal Baths (Rudas Gyógyfürdo)
- Gellért Thermal Bath and Spa
- Elisabeth Bridge (Erzsébet Híd)
- Central Market Hall (Nagycsarnok)
- Vigadó Concert Hall (Pesti Vigadó)
- Vörösmarty Square (Vörösmarty Tér)
- Budapest History Museum (Castle Museum)
- Váci Street (Váci Utca)
- Hungarian National Museum (Magyar Nemzeti Múzeum)
- Hungarian National Gallery (Magyar Nemzeti Galéria)
- Dohány Street Synagogue
- Chain Bridge (Széchenyi Lanchid)
- Hungarian Jewish Museum and Archives (Magyar Zsidó Múzeum és Levéltár)
- Adam Clark Square (Clark Ádám Tér)