Gitgit Waterfalls (Air Terjun Gitgit) Tours
A popular stop between Singaraja and Denpasar, Gigit Waterfall is considered to be one of the most beautiful on the island. Easy to reach from the road, the falls have a drop of 131 feet (40-meter) into a picturesque pool where visitors can swim. There are actually three falls in the area—the other falls being smaller twin waterfalls. All are signposted from the road and reached by a short hike.
Most travelers visit Gitgit Waterfall en route to somewhere else on the island, including Sekumpul Waterfall. Many tours to the dolphins at Lovina or the attractions at Bedugul, including Ulun Danu Bratan, stop at Gitgit Waterfall en route to south Bali. Gitgit Waterfall tours typically include a short hike, a photo stop, and a swim or splash in the pool below.
Things to Know Before You Go
- You can swim, or at least splash, in all three Gitgit falls just about year-round. Bring your bathing suit: There are simple changing rooms.
- Local myth claims that couples who visit Gitgit together will ultimately split up.
- Souvenir vendors can be persistent. A raised hand and a polite “no thank you” will often do the trick.
- The hike to the main falls is well made but includes stairs.
How to Get There
The Gitgit falls sit on the main road between Denpasar (and south Bali) and Singaraja, on the north coast. Unless you speak enough Indonesian to negotiate the “bemo” minibus system, they are not accessible by public transport. It’s possible to self-drive, but most visitors prefer to join a tour or arrange a private driver/guide, and combine the trip to the falls with visits to Bedugul, Lovina, or north Bali.
When to Get There
As with most Bali waterfalls, the Gitgit falls are at their most impressive during the rainy season (roughly October to May), or after rain during the dry season. The falls can get very busy so it’s best to arrive in the morning, before 10am, to avoid the crowd.
Bali’s Best Waterfalls
Lush landscapes and stark black rock make Bali’s waterfalls stand out, despite their relatively small scale. Besides Gitgit, Sekumpul Waterfall, near Singaraja, is a popular attraction; Tegenungan Waterfall near Ubud offers a theatrical cascade; and Melanting Waterfall is the tallest and most impressive of the three falls around Munduk.
64 Tours and Activities to Experience Gitgit Waterfalls (Air Terjun Gitgit)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Private All-Inclusive Nusa Penida Instagram Tour
- Amazing Full-Day Tour : North Bali Trip to Discover The Culture of Bali Island
- Private & All-Inclusive Bali Secret Waterfall Tour
- Amazing Bali Dolphin Watching Trip Experience
Things to do near Bali
- Things to do in Ubud
- Things to do in Kuta
- Things to do in Seminyak
- Things to do in Nusa Dua
- Things to do in Jimbaran
- Things to do in Nusa Lembongan
- Things to do in Candidasa
- Things to do in East Java
- Things to do in Central Java
- Things to do in West Java
- Things to do in Banyuwangi
- Things to do in Lombok
- Things to do in East Nusa Tenggara
- Things to do in Sabah
- Things to do in Johor