Austin Paramount Theatre
The best way to take in the grandeur of this beautifully restored theater is to attend one of the live shows scheduled throughout the year there. Or, swing by the Paramount on a tour of Downtown Austin, which is filled with other popular sites that give you an overview of the city’s important historical and cultural hot spots. Take a Segway excursion or even a 5K running tour that passes the theater.
Things to know before you go
- The Paramount Theatre is a must-stop for fans of classic theater and vaudeville, as well as live comedy, theater, music, and film.
- Parking is extremely limited close to the theater.
- There is wheelchair seating on the theater’s lower level, but no elevator to the upper levels.
How to get there
The Paramount Theatre is located is on Congress Avenue in Downtown Austin between 7th and 8th streets, three blocks south of the Texas capitol building. You can also take a Capital MetroBus to the 8th Street and Congress Avenue stop. Paid parking is available at the 600 Congress parking garage on 7th Street between Congress Avenue and Colorado Street.
When to get there
Check the Paramount Theatre’s schedule for upcoming shows that might interest you. The theater provides the backdrop to a host of concerts, live shows, and film festivals, such as the Moontower Comedy Festival and South by Southwest (SXSW).
There’s a hole in the Paramount Theatre’s proscenium that has inspired interesting speculation over the years. Legend has it that famed magician Harry Houdini himself drilled the hole for a trick. Another story goes that it was actually magician Harry Blackstone who did it. In any case, the hole remains untouched, throughout the years.
- Driskill Hotel (The Driskill)
- 6th Street
- Mexic-Arte Museum
- Texas Governor's Mansion
- Texas Capitol
- 2nd Street District
- Austin Convention Center
- Congress Avenue Bridge (South Congress Bridge)
- French Legation Museum
- Bullock Texas State History Museum
- HOPE Outdoor Gallery (HOG)
- Texas State Cemetery
- LBJ Presidential Library
- South Congress Avenue (SoCo)
- Barton Springs