Jade Factory and Museum (Jade Maya)
Exhibits at the museum include original and replica jade items from Olmec, Maya, Aztec, and other Mesoamerican cultures. Learn about the different shades of jade and about the process of producing jade goods, from mining through to the creation of ready-to-wear jewelry. The museum is often visited as part of sightseeing tours of Antigua and as part of shore excursions from the Puerto Quetzal cruise port. For a more hands-on experience, take part in a jade-carving workshop, during which you can cut, polish, and engrave your own piece of jade under the guidance of an expert.
Things to know before you go
- The Jade Factory and Museum is a must for history buffs and jewelry lovers.
- This is a good place to buy authentic jade products, with all items made from certified jadeite jade.
- The Jade Maya shop offers not just jewelry but also jade statues, charms, and knives, among other decorative objects.
How to get there
The Jade Factory and Museum is located in central Antigua. It is less than 10 minutes from Antigua’s Central Park (Parque Central). Follow Calle Poniente east from the central plaza.
When to get there
The Jade Factory and Museum is open daily from 9am to 6pm. Come early to experience it at its quietest.
Jadeite, the type of jade found in the Motagua Valley in eastern Guatemala, is believed to have been of great importance to the Maya people. The stone was used to make pendants and funeral masks, as well as for religious offerings. It’s thought the stone’s green color was associated with water and the leafy stalks of growing maize plants, and thus with life itself.
- ChocoMuseo Antigua
- Catedral de Santiago (Antigua Cathedral)
- Museum of Colonial Art (Museo de Arte Colonial)
- Antigua Central Park (Parque Central)
- Palace of the Captains General (Palacio de los Capitanes Generales)
- Las Capuchinas (Convento de Las Capuchinas)
- Santa Catalina Arch (Arco de Santa Catalina)
- La Merced Church (Iglesia de la Merced)
- Church of San Francisco (Iglesia de San Francisco)
- Casa Santo Domingo (Monasterio de Santo Domingo)
- Antigua City Hall (Palacio del Ayuntamiento)
- Cerro de la Cruz (Hill of the Cross)
- Pacaya Volcano